Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jun 2001 16:54:53 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Burping gas tank filler problem solved!!

Well troops, it's amazing how simple things can cause the big problems.

Both of the expansion valves in my fuel system were okay, but I replaced them anyway. However, I accidentally shook loose the breather pipe under the gas filler(I was going to pull it anyway to look for foreign objects before I put the tire back on), and lo and behold, here's a huge glob of clear silicone all but totally constricting the vent hole. Now when I did the Wilfy fix for the crossover pipe, I vaguely remember putting a "dab" of rtv to help seal the nipple type gasket, but not THAT much! Yes, I feel like a dumbbutt. Be intersting to see whatthe others with this problem find blocking their lines!!

Needless to say, the tank on my 90 GL fills up like it normally did prior to the Wilfy fix kit. What I still don't understand, is why it took a couple of tank fill ups to have the breathing problems surface? Silicone should set up in a day or two. Oh well, not argueing with solutions here.

For you folks suffering with this problem, shake your expansion valves to see if they are moving up and down before you order them, they are a little expensive, $25 for the pair, and the grommets are $6 ea. Checking that vent pipe for kinks or blockage would be my first line of attack if I had to do it over again.

You Syncro owners should do the same, check the vent pipe wherever it is located back by the tranny and see what you can un clog.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel