Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:37:49 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: 5 spd tranny
Comments: To: Geoff Wilke <gwilke@LIVEMUSIC.ORG>

I have the 4.57 r/p and the .77 4th gear and wish I'd gone to a little taller 3rd as well. The new Boston Bob motor with cam and headwork has about 1k on it now, so it isn't totally loose yet, but my observations climgin a long semi-steep grade on I-430 South in Little rock confirms that the old engine and stock tranny would lose about 8 mph(70 down to 62), This newer tranny ratio and new motor lose 18 mph (down to 52 mph) and although I don't have the Haltech FI settings perfect yet and the Bob motor is still not totally broken in yet, the gearing is more likely to blame than the engine at this point.

Yes, I turn a whopping 3400 rpm at a true 70 mph, but that translates to a really low rpm at 50-60 mph and this engine doesn't have the torque to pull it on any grade. Maybe that will change as the miles acrue.

I have on more than one ocasion been driving to work on a flat 50 mph limit road and glanced at the tach turning 4500 rpm because I was still in 3rd gear! The motor is that quiet and it's pretty strong up there too.

I'll keep playing ,but for all the bucks I have in this thing, a TDI may have been a better choice. Still not disappointed, but not ecstatic yet either.

My too scents

DM&FS ----- Original Message ----- From: "Geoff Wilke" <gwilke@LIVEMUSIC.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 8:47 PM Subject: Re: 5 spd tranny