Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:52:22 -0700
From:         Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heli-Coil tap and drill size needed as soon as poss
Comments: To: John.Clemens.jbclem@EARTHLINK.NET

At 09:56 PM 6/26/2001, you wrote: >Hi all. > > It's 9:30 PM California time and I am trying to finish resealing an oil >cooler on a 1971 Bus......

>I've tried the heli-coil web site which is totally worthless, unless someone >knows what drill size "Q" means, or tap size "2087-8". > >If there are any night owls with this kind of information handy, I would >greatly appreciate receiving it. > >Thanks, John

John - 'Q' is a legitimate drill size, 0.332 inches diameter (ie, just a bit bigger than a 5/16" drill, which is a decimal 0.3125 inches diameter). Heli-Coils use size specific taps which are *not* standard (thus the weird part #) - you don't have to purchase HC brand taps, but they must be listed for 'helical inserts'.

BTW & FWIW, the really hot set up for helical inserts in soft metals/plastics is to use a 'roll tap' instead of a standard cutting tap - roll taps start with a still larger drill, & reform / flow the metal into the thread form; you end up with much stronger threads in the parent material - slightly polished if you use the correct lubricant, making for easier HC installation. You'll have to go to a professional tool supplier to get roll taps (Shop Tools, Advanced, Western Tool, etc), but they're the only way to go, HC's or standard threads.

Austin