Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:52:01 -0700
From:         Todd Greenwood <toddg@MICROSOFT.COM>
Subject:      Monster TO-DO List

Van list - I'm in the middle of remodeling an 80 westy, and I have a ton of questions: I just finished rebuilding the engine (I pulled it, cleaned & repainted the steel, and had it professionally put back together). The first road trip isolated the alternator as a point of failure (on the freeway @ 2am). Now I know what the battery and egr lights mean. I'm prepping for a long term road trip...I hope to surf Baja someday. However, I have a laundry list of repairs first. Any thoughts on this extensive list would be great. Van TO-DO List: 1. Add Temp Gauge (I'd like to get sensors on each cylinder...overkill? At the very least, I'd like a temp gauge on the dash) 2. Add Tach Gauge (I notice there's been some discussion on this lately...I'll look thru the mail) 3. Clean mildew off inside pop-top...cleaner recommendations? 4. Clean outside mildew off outside of pop-top...The question is how to finish it so it looks like new? I just cleaned w/ tsp and Clorox. 100% better...but not 'new' looking yet...should I use rubbing compound and then wax? 5. Replace Headlights (brand recommendations?) 6. Extend gearshift lever higher...it's so low I have to bend down to reach it. I used to ride an old 77 Westy, and the PO had installed an anchor bolt to the stick arm. Does anyone make an extension? 7. Replace sink pump (any brand recommendations?) 9. Add an oil level and pressure meter...I'd like always know about this precious fluid... 10. Spare tire (---found this in Bentley---cool, need to see if I have one :o)) 11. Paint job (where can I get something cheap in the Seattle metro area? Any places to avoid?) 12. Replace missing sliding door window (glass is gone...is this a junkyard item...or something that can be fixed?) 13. External oil cooler?...should I get one? 14. Gas grade?...my mechanic recommends premium for an air cooled. Is this necessary? 15. Recommended oil, after rebuild, then later...what grade should I run for how long after a rebuild? My mechanic recommends either sae30 or 20-50. 16. Fix skylight...some DPO used sheet metal screws to put in a non-stock skylight. It's in, but it leaks...the caulking or whatever they used to seal it is cracking...what should I do? Just add more caulk, or pop for a new skylight? 17. Where are all the grease fittings? Didn't see a diagram in the Bentley ...and the front end squeaks a bit. 18. Fuel system...when I fill the tank up, the filler tube leaks a bit. Is this normal? Or do I need to start looking at the grommets and such? My plan is to drop the tank, fix the sending unit on the tank, and replace all the rubber/gaskets/fuel filter/fuel pump...anyone done this? Thanks in advance for any answers to my newbie questions! -Todd '80 Westy

[text/html]