Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:57:30 -0400
From:         Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure problem
Comments: To: Rrramunda@AOL.COM

Randy,

It's not a vanagon but my son's 92 jetta had low oil problems and a new pump from www.germanautoparts.com with 36mm gears cured his problems. I think you would have to use your old pickup tube though on your vanagon. It's possible your timing belt is loose, the intermediate shaft turns off the backside of the timing belt and they are known to slip.

hope this helps. Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: Randy Weersing To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 11:59 AM Subject: oil pressure problem

I have a problem with my 82 diesel conversion (85 Jetta 1.9). I've been driving this rig for 6 years and 80k miles with few problems, but now I have no oil pressure. A little history: It's always been a little slow to get the oil pressure up after the first start in the morning. Usually the light goes off after 5 seconds or so after starting. Sometimes has taken as long as 15-20 sec. but it has always pressured-up. Things that help are a full

crankcase and a fresh oil change and filter, (I use Mann filters). Once, a couple years ago, it was loosing pressure at speed so I pulled the pan to find the oil pickup screen plugged with sludge and gunk.....cleaned it up and reassembled and the problem was fixed. It's been ok since and very good lately. Pressure has been up immediately after starting (light goes off instantly at startup). This morning, I start it up and no oil pressure, even after running for 30-40 seconds. Checked oil and topped it up (was 1/2 qt low) and tried again. Still no pressure. I know its not the sender because the hyd. lifters clatter when the pressure is down. So.......my question; I have heard that the diesel pan/pump combination as used on my conversion is known for it's oiling problems but have never heard any details on the nature of this problem....cause, cure, etc. Anyone out there have any insight into this? Thanks for any help. Randy Weersing, Eugene, OR

[text/html]