Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:11:15 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: The dreaded topic..(larger tires on rear?)
Comments: To: Sersote@AOL.COM

"Paul M. Hillbish" wrote:

> Tires. I have a question about tires. On the front, I have a different size > tire than on the rear. The wheels are the same size though. My question is, > how will this effect performance? Being that I am poor, I will not be > replacing the tires very soon, but I am wondering, should I have the larger > ones on the drive wheels? Any thoughts on this? > > --Paul--

Paul: Assuming that your van is 2 wheel drive, this is not a big issue. If there is any difference in the load rating or max psi , put the pair with the largest numbers on the rear. Putting the best tread on the front will give you better braking on wet pavement. Having the tires with the largest overall diameter on the back will give you a little better mileage on the hiway but a little less acceleration at low speeds. Calculating the gas mileage from odometer readings, however, will not detect a difference because it only counts wheel revolutions not actual forward progress. You didn't state the actual tire sizes. All 3 numbers determine the overall diameter. Often increasing the first number and decreasing the second number can give about the same diameter, depending on tread wear and pressure, etc. To compare, you could measure carefully how far the van moves forward for exactly one turn of a tire while supporting the expected load with the proper pressure.

Larry A.