Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:40:50 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Tiico conversion issues....
Comments: To: Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>

I agree and was thinking about this on the way home. I bet the engine conversion vans wind up in the junkyard before their stock cousins. They are not going to sell as easily as a stocker. No one wants to buy someone else's project, unless they were going to do it themselves and KNOW that the seller did it right. Of course, if you keep the van who cares.

BTW did anyone look at the 6 cyl. conversion psoted for sale with the raised rear deck...like a foot high! He can't give the thing away!

Jay L Snyder wrote: > > Welcome to the reality of conversions. Imagine if it was a Subaru > engine... > > Adam Brooks <adambrooks@MINDSPRING.COM> on 06/27/2001 03:02:47 PM > > Please respond to adambrooks@MINDSPRING.COM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) > Subject: Tiico conversion issues.... > > Listees: > I recently completed my Tiico conversion to my '86 Syncro. I made a few > modifications to the kit as I installed, but did nothing radical. > Here is the problem.... I fired it up, and it idles fine. When i bring it > up to 2500 RPMs or so, the it begins to miss and sputter. Looking at the > timing with a timing light, the timing appears to jump around when this > happens. I double-checked all the connections, and didn't find anything > loose or disconnected. I suspect the knock sensor, or the sensor on the > cooling neck at the block, but have been unable to coordinate someone with > a VAG1551/1552 to hook to it and look for fault codes. A call to our local > dealer resulted in a resounding "Duh?" As they informed me that only Diesel > Vanagons came with an inline engine..... typical..... Any thoughts? > Also, how did you convertees hook up the charcoal cannister - one line goes > to manifold vacuum, and one goes to throttle vacuum, but the throttle body > is not tapped for a vacuum port.... > Thanks for your assistance. > > Adam Brooks > ------------------------ > '59 Euro Type 1 > '57 Euro Type 2 > '86 Westy Syncro (now Tiico'ed) > www.mindspring.com/~adambrooks/buspage.htm > (in bad need of update!)