Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:15:16 -0700
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shady Boy info requested
Comments: To: "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>,
          shadyboy@shadyboy.com

Hi Tony, I have a ShadyBoy I installed a year ago on my brown '85 Westy. I used it daily during 4 months traveling in Mexico last winter. (I will answer your listed questions below.) Contact Wolfgang in BC, the designer, for more specific information! Go to the web site for photos, etc. shadyboy@shadyboy.com www.shadyboy.com

1. Is setup a one person operation? *Answer: Yes, I traveled alone & never needed help except once, when I hadn't rolled fabric tightly enough & had trouble with snap.

2. Is teardown a one person operation? *Answer: Yes, no problem!

3. Could one "vertically challenged" (5') person setup & teardown the awning? *Answer: Yes, I'm 120 lbs. & 5 feet 2 inches!

4. How long would it take to setup the awning? Answer: Three to five minutes *max.

5. How long would it take to teardown the awning? *Answer: About five minutes, allow more minutes if stiff wind.

6. How is the Shady Boy folded, tucked, packed, stuffed, or whatever when tearing down and replacing in the storage container? *Answer: Remove poles from end pockets, awning folds in thirds upon itself, poles are rolled up with fabric & lid snaps shut on everything. All poles roll up neatly with awing fabric, which remains attached in aluminum housing.

7. The available color choices per manufacturer are sky blue, burgandy, and metallic silver. The silver, which was described as being a brushed aluminum rather than shiny, seems the most appropriate for our Assuan Brown Westy. The manufacturer also stated that it was a little thicker and somewhat more difficult to replace in the storage container. Anyone have the silver color? LIke it? Is my color description accurate? *Answer: Yes, silver is soft, brushed color & is what I chose, for it best reflects sun/heat & looks great with any color VW body. *Best choice.

Difficult to store? *Answer: No. ShadyBoy housing/awning bolts to van body, fabric remains attached to housing & only needs rolling up to put away & lid snaped shut. Also, the unit is simple to install, but does require drilling holes into van body. Once in place, however, it is almost completely theft-proof!

Hope this helps, but recommend you contact Wolfgang for more details! He's a great guy & goes the extra distance to serve his shadyboy customers. Cheers, Phaedra