Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:33:49 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Tiico conversion issues....
Comments: To: puzerewski <puzerewski@MSN.COM>

Adam, far be it from me to judge anyone who decides to do a conversion! And i should have made my statement a query instead. I actually did wonder on the way home yesterday whether the conversions would survive as long as the stock vans. My gut feeling was "no." But maybe they will last longer. Who knows. Just idle speculation and curiosity.

An engine conversion was the first thing i wanted to do 7 years ago when i got my '90 syncro westfalia. But then i got used to it, and grew to appreciate the vanagon's quirkiness and forced slower pace. It's not much different than driving a big truck, really. Once you accept the limits, the low power is no longer an issue. There is enough power there to do anything the vehicle as a whole is capable of over the long haul. I actually prefer to go slower than the van is capable of cruising most of the time anyway. But that is just my pesonal opinion/tastes. I can see why others do conversions. It makes perfect sense. But for me, part of the fun is keeping it stock...working within those limits, and pulling more performance out via polishing/refining. I think in 10 years from now, i will be glad i chose this route.

sorry you did not like my off topic comment. steve

puzerewski wrote: > > > I agree and was thinking about this on the way home. I > > bet the engine conversion vans wind up in the junkyard > > before their stock cousins. > > I doubt it. It is all a matter of getting it set up..........once set up > the results are real good, thus no complaints from the TIICO or Subaru > people that have completed their conversions. > > They are not going to sell > > as easily as a stocker. > > Depends on the buyer. A converted van that has been done right would go for > a premium to most vanagon owners i know around here.....problem is they > rarely are for sale since the owners that go thru the conversion process > truly are thinking longterm...... > > No one wants to buy someone > > else's project, unless they were going to do it > > themselves and KNOW that the seller did it right. Of > > course, if you keep the van who cares. > > Just the point most converted vans stay with the owner that converted them. > > The listee that posted the questions really did not need your opinions on > conversions.....he needed help with his problem... > > BTY aren't you the fellow that has the 93 EV ? Nuff said.