Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:00:45 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Progress on the fuel injector mod on Audi 3A Project

To any who are interested,

In my switch to the SAAB Turbo engine management system for this engine, I decided to use the 3A intake manifold as it looks to flow better than the Digifant 8V head and manifold. This intake manifold has its CIS injectors in the intake manifold right near the intake port, not in the head as per the VW 8Valve engines. I determined that the injector spacer distance was the same as for the Digifant fuel rail, so I studied the possibility of making a modified injector holder to convert from the CIS injectors to the Digifant/Jetronic style injectors. The Audi manifold mount through a Bakelite plastic O-ring sealed adapter necessarily gives cooler injectors and injected fuel than the VW approach.

Success. I can email the interested a drawing of the cross-section of the injector holder. The outer black outline is the external projection of the Audi plastic injection holder. The blue dashed inner surface of the stock holder. The red curve is the new cut which must be made. It is convenient to drill the center hole to a depth of 0.650 inches with a width of 41/64 th's (0.640 inches). This clears the main body of the injector. The 60 degree chamfer can be done with a 1 inch 60 degree countersink. This lets the injector sink down into the plastic holder. I will use an additional O-ring on the base of the injector as a secondary seal for the system. Works perfectly. Good seal. As noted on the PICT diagram, I cut off the injector lower shroud to clear the spray pattern from the injector. Should increase the port flow. Should take about 30 minutes to an hour on the lathe to duplicate.

I am now looking at the Digifant fuel rail mount to hold the injectors down. I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and adapter to interface to the rail. I will also mount the sender for the digital fuel pressure gauge here.

Looks clean so far.

Frank Grunthaner