Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:47:01 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: 130Amp alternator upgrade?
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@volkswagen.org>

The "12 Volt Doctor's Practical Handbook for the boat's electrical system" has a good discussion on external adjustable regulators.

Westies often become sailboats when on camping trips, ie. often have subtantial current draw on battery when parked and infrequent use of engine for recharging. What you want is for the alternator to recharge the battery more quickly when the engine is on, fiddling with an adjustable voltage regulator is one way of doing that, and is done on sailboats...

ahoy David B.!

also, if you have a non-stock (ie gel cell) battery...

charge cutoff V maintainance V equalization V

wet cell @ 80 F 14.4 13.5 16.5 wet cell @ 100 F 13.9 13.3 15.8 gel cell @ 80 F 14.4 13.8 NA gel cell @ 100 F 14.1 13.8 NA

charge cutoff voltage = battery voltage at which heavy charging should be stopped

maintainance voltage = voltage at which the battery can be maintained for long periods of time without excessive water loss

equalization = controlled overcharge, done periodically to help mix up electrolyte. Not to be done on sealed or gel cell batteries.

Replacing the cable from the alternator to the battery with something beefier, cleaning contacts is the obvious first step.

Alistair