Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:37:47 -0700
From:         DaveC <voicebox@DNAI.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C useless when over 100 degrees

> > The a/c in my Vanagon seemeed to work fine in 90 degree New York. > > But now I'm in AZ, it just cannot cool a hot van on a 100 degree day (which > > is everyday right now). > > Is this an inherent weakness or does my system need looking at? > > Anyone else in a hot climate got his a/c working well? > > My '95 Mercury Sable has no problem cooling (almost instantly) in the same > > conditions - and its 134a, not Freon. > >One thing I do know is that refrigeration air conditioning is not as >efficient out here in the dry desert heat. Since the task is to remove >moisture, its hard pressed to find any out here :-) I might guess that >your car has a smaller interior, and is better insulated? <shrug> Just a >thought

I don't own a Vanagon, yet, but I've had experience maintaining the a/c systems on several cars, some in the S. Arizona desert (S.W. USA), and some on N. California coast. Some of these observations are generic -- applicable to all R-12 systems, while some are not. Please excuse the few errors (does a Vanagon compressor have an adjustable hub-to-pulley clearance?) that do not apply to Vanagons.

The primary function of a/c is to transfer heat. It is a heat pump. Condensation (removal of moisture) is a byproduct of this process. Actually, because of the natural moisture on the surface of our skin, dry air feels "colder" than humid air because of its ability to hold more moisture than moisture-laden air. This makes it better at evaporating moisture from our skin, creating a mini "windchill factor" effect. All this is moot, however, when the a/c's efficiency tops out in the 100's.

The Vanagon is a huge volume of space. We love this fact 3 seasons of the year. This fact, plus the huge glass area of the vehicle combine to make that 4th season a bummer in all but Alaska.

Every "ounce" of heat you can keep from getting inside the vehicle is one "ounce" less you have to remove.

If your windows aren't tinted, seriously consider it. A silver/bronze reflective tint makes the vehicle cooler than having the windows tinted dark (smoke, gray, green, etc.). The sun's infrared rays are reflected by a shiny surface; a dark color, while blocking the infrared rays from getting into the car's interior, will absorb them, heating the glass. There is a small heat difference between the two tints, but in a car as large as the Vanagon, every bit counts.

Making the roof of the vehicle somehow reflective also contributes to making it cooler. (The factory white of the Westfalia is good, but it still absorbs more infrared (ie, heat) than does a metallic "silver" material. Don't use silver paint as a reflective material; it doesn't do any better than the existing color.)

Insulate, insulate, insulate, wherever possible. Door and window seals and crannies between panels should be airtight. If you can hear wind-roar, you're probably losing BTU's.

R-134a, with an R-12 compressor, in a marginal climate (read: as hot as it can get) is not a good choice. If converting to R-134a, old r-12 hoses are not designed for the increased pressure that develops from the use of R-134a which, I believe, is about 120 - 140 psi higher. So additional costs (especially those looooong Vanagon hoses...) must be calculated.

I have heard that Freeze12 is a good, inexpensive (us$8/can, last I looked) alternative to R-12. Freeze 12 costs about the same as R-134a and requires no modifications for older cars and there is no noticeable decrease in cooling efficiency. The cost is the same as R-134a because it is a blend of 20% R-142b and 80% R-134a. It has about the same pressure curve as R-12 but the problems with being a blend is that if/when one component of the blend leaks out it leaves the ratio changed so instead of topping off you have to evacuate and recharge entirely (or so I'm told). Check out http://aircondition.com for more info on R-12 replacements.

An a/c "checkup" is always a good idea. Find someone who is highly recommended by a competent mechanic. Ask people you respect. Get more than one referral. Simply being able to pour refrigerant into a system does not a fine a/c technician make. A few possible problems (excluding a major leak) are: misadjusted compressor belt; too little refrigerant (some times shows up as bubbles in the sight glass); too much compressor oil (resulting in less room for refrigerant); old expansion valve; improper compressor clutch (pulley-to-hub) clearance; malfunctioning condenser fan.

Check the condenser (behind the grille) for obvious problems such as blockage from debris, bent fins, etc.

Probably the simplest thing you can do to keep your a/c system in good shape is to use it year 'round. The reason for this is to keep the shaft seal of the compressor bathed with oil. The shaft seal is designed to work when it is coated with oil. If the seal is not bathed with oil regularly, gravity will drain the oil from the seal, and your freon goes bye-bye (or is that buy-buy?). A few minutes every week, even during the winter months, will do.

Dave

-- Dave Carpenter

Whatever you wish for me, May you have twice as much.