Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:35:40 -0400
From:         Chad G <groch@WORLDCHAT.COM>
Subject:      Fuel Mileage Gone to Hell!!!

I've been strugling to figure out my fuel mileage woes. And a idle that shoots up to 3000rpm at stop lights Here is what I've had done thus far....

Mechanic #1 Checked for vacuum leaks and found that the rubber boot from the AFM to throttle housing was cracked I replaced it along with the fuel filter.......cost $200CDN total.......result 10mpg

Mechanic #2 (VW dealer 1000km from where I live) Engine started misfiring, hesitating, and struggling to climb every hill it went up...........I disconnected 02 sensor and it ran smooth but mileage was crap Took it to VW and they said the wiring to my fuel injectors was corroded as was the grounds etc... they also said my Temp II was shot (it was new in February so it was waranty) as was my O2 sensor so it was also replaced. This all seemed legit to me cost $490......result 12mpg, the van did run well and idled fine but the fuel mileage is f'ed and there still is a heavy exhaust smell

ANY IDEAS WHAT I SHOULD DO NEXT

Chad 85GL van