Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:09:52 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine conversions and such...
Comments: To: Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM

A friend of mine was collecting big GM and Ford cars and restoring them with just basic cosmetic restorations. I told him to watch television and see which cars they were wrecking in the police chases in the movies and avoid buying those types of cars. I think the same rule probably applies now.

Stan Wilder

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:39:24 -0400 Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM> writes: > Excellent point. How many '85 Caravans are still out there as > everyday > driver's? If you see one, there is usually a large cloud of blue > smoke > coming from the tailpipe. They will not be collectible! > > > > > Kitzmann <kitzmann@EXIS.NET> on 06/28/2001 09:15:01 AM > > Please respond to Kitzmann <kitzmann@EXIS.NET> > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) > Subject: Re: Engine conversions and such... > > > > > Oh I forgot one little thing, if they do become collectable most > restorers > have to bring things back to stock for most vehicles. People mess > around > with there cars all the time, just look at some of the old Beatles > or > Busses, bored out engines, little gagets added or removed, nonstock > interiors, etc.... In all reality even if the Bus has an engine > conversion many restorers will still want the body if it is in great > shape > to restore back to original. If I was going to restore an older Bus > I > would definitely take a rust free nonorignal, say with a bigger > motor with > dual carbs, then an original with rust and other problems. So all > this > complaining back and forth is really pointless. What matters is > that we > like are Vans and are keeping them running in some fashion. Oh, and > about > reliability, I don't think any of the vans from the 80's where that > reliable. I've know a lot of people with Caravans and the like that > have > sunk much more money into thier vans then I have. Example 4 engines > in 10 > yrs for a Caravan! Two different people I know had to return thier > Caravans to the dealers after 6-9 months for a replacement because > the > originals where such S#@&. Better proof of reliability was a long > term > reliability test that I saw a while back of the vans sold in 1989 > the top > two for reliability where, suprise, the Vanagon and MPV. They all > had > problems, Chrysler just did a better job at selling to the > unsuspecting > public. > Dave K. > 178000 miles on 2 engines 82 diesel now 1.8L gas > Friends Caravan 145000 miles 4 engines, and currently no AC or power > windows and it is hot! > Which is better?

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.