Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:11:07 EDT
From:         Robert Keezer <WarmerWagen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tiico conversion issues....

I bought my 1982 Vanagon Diesel from a junkyard in 1995 with a burnt Diesel engine. I put a 91 Jetta 1.8 in it. It now has a 2.0 95 engine. I have been involved with the wrecking yard industry and the IAA auctions for 6 years. Of all the Vanagons I have seen auctioned, and those at wrecking yards, none have had anything but the stock motor in the vehicle.

A conversion is an investment in time and money-if my car is wrecked, you can be sure that I will keep the motor!

After answering calls from WBX owners at a local VW business for several years, I can tell you that sooner or later you will have blown heads. The don't go the distance the second time around. If you do things to prevent this, you still have an inferior motor technologically. I regularly drive WBX Westies here-one has a new motor, broken in, and it can't merge into traffic ahead of right-lane traffic like my 82 I-4 powered Westy can.

The motor in the 93-later VW's are far superior to the WBX. SO, it only makes sense to use one of these if you can (or even a Subie, if you prefer).

The amateur installer makes a few mistakes, lacks some equipment, and everyone sees this as an opportunity to slam the conversion, and condemn it as being "non-stock," therefore problem plagued.

The list is a great forum for helping each other with the vehicles we love. So how is it helping to snipe at a Tiico or any other listmembers 's variety of conversion. Are we that insecure that we have to defend the original engine as if this was true purism?

I know many VW techs at major Western Washington dealerships that have seen enough WBX head replacements to last an eternity. They do conversions on their own Vanagons. (Lynn Cluck at Auburn VW, Peter Aust at Tom Carsten's Tacoma. )

The inline four is a proven reliable and powerful engine. I have worked on all-I wouldn't trade my I-4 for any thing. My advice is: make the best of what you have and if you are really serious about keeping your Vanagon, do yourself a favor and replace the engine with something better. Or, if you are able to improve the WBX, I might get one if you can make these improvements. 1. prevent head gasket leaks(doable) 2. Make lifter bleeding uneccescary. 3. Make waterpump replacement easier. Etc. Many improvements can be made(ie Lilley) but cost much more than it is worth for the average Vanagon owner. I paid $2,000 for my Westfalia, and $1,500 for the engines, trans, and parts to convert it. It took me three months. A Tiico SA 2.0 I have heard can be done in two days by experienced mechanics. It's hard to shut me up-I have a huge jar full of pennies!

Robert 1982 Westfalia Seattle

[text/html]