Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:53:00 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure switch
Comments: To: Leon Korkin <korkwood@SURFREE.COM>

Leon,

It was I who originally posted this question.

.3 bar, or actually mine are labeled .15 - .45 (tolerance?) are used on all low pressure systems, to the best of my knowledge. I have one in my '84 and one on my '85 (both 1.9s at this point). I also have one on the low pressure side in my '88.

Here's where it gets sticky. I bought the '88 with the engine in the back seat. It was all there except the high pressure switch. I wandered over to my FLIAPS (I = Import) and asked for a high side switch, and was given a 1.8 bar switch, which I promptly installed. At around 2500 rpm, the light lit up and the buzzer buzzed.

Hmpph!

Call previous owner. "Any oil pressure problems in the past?"

"No, never."

Guy seemed pretty honest (that's why I bought the van from him plus a great price), so I've accepted this as a given.

Look in the Bentley, and sure enough, Bentley calls for a 1.8 switch.

"Must be defective!", says I, so I go and buy another one (at only $3.50, I can afford two). I install the new switch and voila, the SOB still buzzes. To myself, I am now calling the DPO a freaking liar.

I take the van up to my local friendly mechanic, and he screws in a pressure gauge. We run the engine for a while, and while the pressure seems a bit low, it does not seem to be disastrously so (18 psi @ 2200 rpm). We throw in a can of Bardahl. Takes like, fifteen minutes to flow into the engine. OP comes up about ten points and the buzzer stops buzzing. I'm still not happy. I no longer hear a real buzzer, but one is still going off in my head.

Got home last night and started looking at the vanagon.com website under technical, or whatever the heading says. Find articles on oil pressure. Reading through them, they all describe what I've gone through. I'm just about ready to quit, when I get to the last article, which describes pretty much the same thing, except that this article mentions a .9 bar switch! With excitement, I go to the BD website and look up 2.1 OP switches to see which one Ron carries. Damn! He stocks both of them!

It's time to seek the wisdom of the list, so I write to Gerry and implore the membership to shed some illumination on my dilemma. The first three responses I get say "0.9bar", "1.8bar", and "I dunno, but that 's a good question".

It's now twelve hours since I posted my original question, and no one has actually written back and given me a definitive answer on the subject, though, from what I've hear so far, I'm gonna go find a .9bar switch pronto.

Karl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leon Korkin" <korkwood@SURFREE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 10:06 AM Subject: Re: Oil pressure switch