Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:16:24 -0400
From:         John Flaherty <jflahert@MAINE.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van is down - help!
Comments: To: Éric Giroux <eric.giroux@NRC.CA>

OTTOMH I'd say you've ruptured the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. Pull the vacuum hose off it and see if fuel squirts out the nipple.

HTH, John Flaherty Portland, Maine '84 GL

----- Original Message ----- From: "Éric Giroux" <eric.giroux@NRC.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 3:24 PM Subject: Van is down - help!

Bummer.. And I just spent $1000 on changing the coolant hoses, thermostat, tune-up...

1- I go to start it this morning: it's cranking and cranking...nothing. I depress the gas pedal, finaly it starts with HEAVY white clouds of smoke, strong gas smell.

2- I do 10km, it seems to be running fine. It dies at a red light at idle. I do as in 1 above to start again. More white smoke - gas smell.

3- I do another 20 km, it also seems to be running fine (110 km/h) it dies again at a at yellow light. I cannot start, I let it go through the intersection and pull over. I try to do as in 1 above, nothing. I wait a few minutes, try again and it eventually starts (starter on for maybe 15 seconds with gas pedal fully depressed) but this time people can see the white smoke and smell the gas from miles and miles around, I almost fainted.

4- It finally dies for good. I go to the engine bay, gas had come out of the exhaust pipe. All I hear now when I try to start is 2 revs of the engine followd by a not-too-loud 'clunk' and then nothing.

5- I noticed the engine bay cover backing (sorta foam) has a gas stain about a foot in diameter at the front left, but I have yet to see how it happened.

6- I had it towed to my mech, who is out until tuesday...

Any thoughts? I can remove bolts and somehow use a Voltmeter (enough to be dangerous). The only think I did is unplug the vaccum hose, and it had a small amount of fuel coming out.

Éric