Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:12:03 +0000
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Catalytic converter
Comments: To: Ed DeBolt <eddebolt@NETZERO.COM>

Actually Ed, the environmental effect is a little less than obvious. I have an '83.5 1.9. Cat failed when I lived in San Diego (within the South Coast Air Management District, toughest smog laws in the country at the time.) Had a choice... remove the bits and reattach the canister or replace the canister. Finances dictated the former option. Smog test? About half the limit. A year later, replaced the cat. Next smog test? About half the limit. In my experience, there was absolutely no, repeat no, environmental damage.

Remember that the digijet system is a closed loop system. If all other components are functioning within spec, the cat won't make much difference.

Legally one is on much shakier ground. IIRC the fine is about $10k.

Jim

Ed DeBolt wrote: > > the environmental damage is obvious. another issue is that your vehicle will > emit stinky HC hydro carbon smells. I personally prefer a less offensive > exhaust odor. > > ed > -----Original Message----- > From: Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Date: Friday, June 29, 2001 2:28 PM > Subject: Catalytic converter > > >LEGAL, MORAL AND ETHICAL ISSUES ASIDE, what are the pros and cons of > >gutting the cat. converter?