Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:17:58 -0500
From:         Donald Baxter <onanov@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Catalytic converter
Comments: To: andrewbell <andrewbell@QWEST.NET>

Honestly, an 18 year old car running with the original CAT isn't much different than running without one. The point about driving an old car versus a new one (incredible energy expended and pollution created, not to mention the use of resources) is not lost on me either. I know folks in Atlanta who gutted the cat on their Vanagons to a net effect of actually decreasing the pollution measured at the tailpipe. Since my 1985 was at the legal limit the last time it was tested, I can believe this. And Vanagon engines are notoriously filthy--it's probably a good thing not many were sold in the USA. I used to be opposed to this, but now i'm just amused. After all, I was raised when it was cool to let your kids ride in the car on the shelf over the back seat of the family sedan. Somehow or another I managed to live through the more dangerous, more fun, and less politically correct 1960s.

Donald Baxter 1985 GL

This is a can of worms. My converter is at the recyclers, and the rear end of the Van is free and clear.

I wrestled with all the morality of it, and decided that I might effect the environment in a detrimental way only if the engine wasn't running correctly. To help me sleep at night I do the following:

1. Motor tuned (timed, Bosch Platinum 4's, New Wires, KEN, Syntec, and regular injector cleaner). 2. I get better mileage and performance with catty gone. 3. Air pressure in all four tires checked regularly. 4. I run Oxygenated fuel - 90 octane. 5. My Van doesn't leak or burn oil - and regular oil changes with oil properly recycled - filter, too. 6. I'm driving an 18 year old car that other would have junked eight years earlier - the positive environmental impact from that alone has got to count for more than 100% of any problem created by lost catty.

Pros: I get better mileage, I would say that the motor is running the best it has in years. My vehicle as a result may run longer, and cooler too. Cons: Because my state doesn't have testing anymore, I don't know what gas %'s are leaving the vehicle. I'm knowingly breaking the law. It's not the only one, but I guess my dirty little secrets are no Cat, and the occasional joint.

There it is - who knows? I may burn in hell for it someday. Until then, my delusion is complete.

AB

Gerald Masar wrote:

LEGAL, MORAL AND ETHICAL ISSUES ASIDE, what are the pros and cons of

gutting the cat. converter? There was something on the list about this awhile back, but I can't find the info in the archives. For awhile now, especially in the summer heat, the

whole area around the back of the engine compartment, the bumper, cowling, lic. plate, etc. have been too hot to touch, even after a short drive. The van itself, a '90 Westy, is running normally. Good gas mileage (for a van with 134k miles) and the temp. gauge is just over the top edge of the LED. The O2 sensor was changed just a few months ago for a new Bosch OEM unit. To my knowledge, it has never been in a "running rich" situation. I understand the cat. can get clogged. I am taking it off this weekend to check it out. Comments? Thanks, Jerry

[text/html]