Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jun 2001 04:14:56 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      A Saab Story

The recent postings have led me to comment. Had one once. 1989 9000 CD normally aspirated. Loved it. Strong acceleration (my other car was the 1982 Diesel Vanagon Westfalia), excellent handling, great long distance road car. Unfortunately it was plagued with three insurmountable problems:

1. Stunningly incompetent dealers. Made VW dealers appear to model citizens and amateur philanthropists. You know, inexpensive, prompt courteous.... My first significant service was 15,000 miles and $387.00. Much of this for the oil change, the inspection and some nefarious tightening. I had to deal with Star Lincoln Mercury Saab in Glendale. Years later, I poured cheap champagne on the front carpet of the service center in a rare display of public mirth when they announced they were going out of business. I still hope the service manager continues to rot in Hades (Greek term, no serious negative or mythological relevance to its usage). The quoted me $850 + for the major service. I refused to leave the car unless they wore black half face masks.

2. The car. Great engineering, stunningly bad build quality. Made the Renault Dauphine I had resemble a reliable utility vehicle. Went through 8 power window mechanisms! 8! Had to sue the dealer in small claims court to get 3 covered after the warranty expired. I was abusing the mechanism he said. I told the judge it was simply a coincidence that the service manager had poked his head through the then open passenger side rear window. (Got him good! Great demonstration that the window would only close half way). Probably shouldn't have taken the pictures.

3. The US Saab organization. Full crew of bean counters and lawyers. Punitive warranty enforcement. Made VWOA seem like a set of dedicated monks.

So yes, wanted to love that machine. When I traded it in 4 years later, I had to as for bids by salvage yards to get within a $1000 of what I owed. Clean, low mileage, etc.etc, but the resale value of a medical cadaver.

Don't normally name my cars, but this one first whispered "Call me Audrey" before 3 months had passed!

Liked the engineering though.

Sorry, couldn't help sharing,

Frank Grunthaner