Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jun 2001 07:09:46 -0700
From:         Tony <tgerr95@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: ** PLEASE READ ** Change the List's Reply-To address

Me 3

Tony

--- Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> wrote: > Tom, > > "Reply" and "reply all" are not too difficult to > figure out, nor to use, so > long as you force yourself slow down by about a > nanosecond. > > I much prefer having the option of replying > privately to a post. Sometimes > this is a convenience. Sometimes it saves the > person to whom I am writing > some embarrassment. If I post a widget for sale, > there's no reason for the > whole list to see the responses I receive (and in > some instances, I may not > want the whole list to see them). > > I am a member of several other lists which are not > structured to allow > p-mail, and on them I am not nearly as active. > Karl Wolz > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "DaveC" <voicebox@DNAI.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 8:52 AM > Subject: ** PLEASE READ ** Change the List's > Reply-To address > > > > Hello, > > OK, I just gotta say something, here. > > > > For most posts I send to the List, I'm getting > multiple "replies" > > sent to me rather than the List. (Due to the > wording of these > > messages, I'm sure they were meant to go to the > List, not to me > > directly.) I'm sure that I'm not the only one who > gets "public" > > messages sent to them rather than to the List. > > > > In fairness to those persons from whom I received > messages, I, too, > > mistakenly sent posts to members that I meant to > send to the List. In > > all, a 80% error rate! I know it's a small sample, > but geees! How > > many others on the list mistakenly have sent or > received messages > > that were meant to be posted to the List? Quite a > few, I'd bet. > > > > And here's the reason why: > > > > The Reply-To address for this List is set to be > the individual > > poster's address, not the List address. > > > > So, whenever a person selects Reply from their > e-mail program (as we > > all know), the message is not addressed to the > List, but to the > > individual who posted the message. To avoid > erroneously sending posts > > to individuals, each poster must manually change > the Reply-To address > > for every reply. > > > > This mis-direction of messages is something that, > if one applies > > oneself, he/she could overcome this problem. But > who wants to have to > > try to remember this each and every time he/she > composes a message to > > the VANAGON list? And then you've always got the > newcomers who don't > > expect this to be this way (all other lists I > belong to have the LIST > > address as the reply-to address). > > > > The current process of replying to List postings > is tedious and > > error-prone. I suggest that the Reply-To address > be changed to < > > vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >. > > > > I am a member of several lists, and this is the > only one that doesn't > > have a Reply-To address that is the List address. > > > > I assume that the reason the Reply-To address is > set to be the > > individual poster's address is to avoid replies > being posted to the > > List that are meant to be private. But think about > this: how many > > times do you send a message to an individual list > member, and how > > many times do you post to the List? In other > words, the number of > > time you might mean to send a private message to a > list member and > > mistakenly post it to the List has a *much* less > chance of happening > > than the opposite occurring (simply because we > post to the list more > > often than we reply privately to list members). > > > > Sincerely, > > Dave Carpenter > > -- > > Dave Carpenter > > > > Whatever you wish for me, > > May you have twice as much.