Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:58:16 -0400
From:         Kitzmann <kitzmann@EXIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine conversions and such...(Long and rant like)

I have to agree with Chuck on one note, a bunch of people are taking this stuff too personally. I have a conversion, is it better then a Lily? a subee? etc. For me I needed a reliable engine for less then 2K. That ruled out Subee, Lily, TDI, Tiico, etc. Friend had Golf GT, with a good engine and the price was right. If I could have I would probably have prefered keeping the original if I could have economically made it reliable. But, alas I'm a graduate student right now and don't have the money, but I do have the knowledge to do a transplant. Now I know I have been responding to alot of these conversion posts, but only in good humor. I wish everyone else would just stop slinging crap around and stick to some truth.

The truth form my experiance with an I4 conversion. More power at Highway speeds, less at takeoff at a light. Somewhat better mileage 23-24mpg. Hard to get a good quiet exhuast to fit and to find the right length belts to allow the alternator to stay below the lid. Frustration at finding stupid things previous owner of engine did. Dealing with modified parts and always wondering if the modifications have in someway changed the operation in the system. A little pride at knowing you were able to engineer that whole thing and got it running.

Dave K.