Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:31:33 -0400
From:         Walt Spak <wnsopc3@3RDM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tires... (I don't want to flog a dead horse, but...)
Comments: To: jhlauterbach <jhlauterbach@msn.com>, arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM

Dear List,

I just returned from my local tire dealer where I had a set of Michelin Agilis 61's, 185 X 14, installed compliments of Michelin. These went on a 91 GL to replace the MX4 RainForce tires that I bought several weeks ago.

When I realized that I needed tires, I went looking for a set of Michelin MXT's in 205/70 X 14-97T as were fitted. I got a full 40,000 miles out of the last set and was very happy with them even though I generally like tall skinny tires better than the 70 series type. Several dealers + The Tire Rack told me that they were discontinued. I ended up at my local dealer who I really like and he called his Michelin rep/wholesaler who confirmed that the MXT's were not available. Next, I checked the Michelin web site and was surprised to find that it recommended the MX4 RainForce tire in a 205/70 X 14 95T size & load rating. I ran this past the dealer who confirmed it with his rep/wholesaler and we all decided to go with a 215/70 X 14 MX4 as it upped the load rating to a 96T. I bought the tires & had them installed. I noticed that they did not handle as well as the MXT's and I spent a couple of weeks playing with pressures. They always seemed to cause a little bit of oversteer. It wasn't drastic, but it was there.

I got back onto Michelin's web site & wrote them an e-mail asking if they were in fact the right tire & what pressures did they recommend. I finished the note by expressing a concern that I might have an accident as a result of the oversteer situation. The Michelin customer service rep named Greg called me early the next morning & informed me that they were the wrong tires for the vehicle & was absolutely positive that no one at Michelin would ever recommend those tires for a Vanagon. He was bit surprised to learn that it was listed on Michelin's web site as the preferred tire. He assured me that it was a mistake & offered me a set of Agilis 61's. I expressed my concerns that the 61's would look dorky on the alloy wheels. He checked the measurements & found that the were something like 2 tenths of an inch narrower & 3 tenths taller. I decided to go for them.

The 61's do look a little small on the alloys, but do not look that bad. I took a real winding road home from the dealer & I love the way they handle. I think they are better than the MXT's.

From what I could get out of the M. rep, the MXT's are still made in Europe, but with the 61's in the US, M. feels they have us covered & do not plan to bring in any MXT's. That is just my interpretation of one rep's opinion and could change.

I would recommend the 61's to everyone.

John L., I would fight with Michelin. You wanted to buy the right tires to begin with & they wouldn't let you.

Alan B., Don't buy the MX4 RainForce. Go for the Agilis 61's in a 185X14.

Walt Spak Pittsburgh, PA. wnsopc3@3rdm.net