Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jul 2001 18:12:42 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      12% more power with Haltech?(long)

Not casting any dispersions on Haltech here cuz I'm certainly not doing things according to Hoyle, but that theroetical 12% comes from the 1.9 motor, not the 2.1. The hassles to adapt the Haltech to Digifant are many. Between swapping wire harnesses, mounting it in factory location(even though it's smaller than the VW unit), figuring out where to put the air temp sensor, map sensor, coolant temp sensor(forget about using temp II hole!), slicing up the VW wiring to get another ignition module to work, grafting the TPS sensor to the bottom of the throttle body, mounting the twin relays for ECU and fuel pump, figuring out how to graft the idle stabilizer ciruitry into Haltech(still lost on that one), making the O2 sensor wire stretch far enough to reach the Vanagon Cat, and the list goes on and on.

Add that to the fact that Berg uses the throttle position sensor mode and I'm using manifold vaccum(my engine won't even start in TPS mode), Clyde has no clue how to set fuel maps in manifold mode and every time I call the Texas office for Haltech, I get a fax squeal. The manual for the E6S is easy enough to follow, but they must use these systems on some pretty high tech rotary and race engines, cuz they be talkin' about a whole lotta stuff I don't understand at all. Just figuring out how to get the timing initally right was enough of a chore.

For this 12% increase, you will pay about $1,200 for the E6S, another $200 for the special tuning kit that gives instant readings for the exhaust gases(Halmeter kit from TWM), another $70 for a second O-2 sensor(made by AC), and mandatory Manga Core plug wires were cheap at $60 or so. The final check for this stage was almost $1700.

Next stage, if I ever get out of this one, wil lbe to improve breathing, by adding a slightly larger Bosch injector(less duty time % I'm told) at $80 each, twin DCOE manifolds with the injector mods made, fuel rails, twin TWM throttle bodies, Berg dual carb linkage, and low profile air cleaners so I don't hjave to raise the lid any. then there's the matching of the intake manifold to the head work already done. This second phase will run an additional $1700. $3400 plus the $2000 plus spent on the engine rebuild, well, now you're talking TDI country.

With all this hassle, I'm still not giving up, but bolt on 12% increase in power, well, it's not coming forth in the lower rpm ranges where I need it. there are times when the motor really stomps in the 3500-4500 rpm range however. With the 4.57 tranny r/p, I've caught myself turning 50-55 in third gear thinking I was in 4th. Still got some breakin miles to go before we really play with it, but don't go thinking you will bolt on 12% for a measly $1000.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel