Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:21:05 -0700
From:         T Berk <tberk@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 GL automatic keeps stalling
Comments: To: ThreeHartz@AOL.COM

Ken Hartz wrote: > > My parents recently acquired an 87 GL automatic and are having > problems with the engine (echo, echo, echo). > It starts ok, but when they shift to "D"rive, the engine quits. > The only way we've been able to correct the problem is by > increasing the idle to almost 1500 rpm. Any suggestions? > Ken H.

Have we covered the basics like a standard tune up? I ask because you mention it's newly acquired. Seemingly decent cars (vans) can fail to run if the plugs are worn down, the filters are clogged, etc.

Also run a double dose of Techron through the gas on a half tank of gas, it's a good idea to change the oil after a high dose like this as it will get some past the rings and into the oil.

Besides the above I would recondition the electrical grounds in the engine bay as they often get nasty over time, reducing over all electrical output and restricing a full burn at the plugs. Battery posts/ clamps cleaned and coated with at least a ligh coat of vasolene (if not Stabilant-22) and the starter to battery, Alt to battery contacts need some TLC too. (Do a before and after test with a multimeter- measure accros the battery terminals during Idle. 12.5v? Just barely enough. 14.5v? On the high side, but I'll bet you won't find it.)

Makes for a smoother running motor. Even if none of this fixes the problem you should still as it falls under 'new to you' viehcle. Right up there with changing ALL fluids.

hth, TBerk