Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jul 2001 00:48:59 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Terry's Anti Semitic Insults --
Comments: cc: tcarrington@RELITECH.COM

Recently, when someone posted a pornographic link to the List, it happened while administrator Tom Carrington was out of town. However, when he learned of it, he was very quick to state (in no uncertain terms) that it was inappropriate and would not be permitted on the list again. Thus he made it clear that this is a moderated list, and "off color" topics do not belong here.

This has nothing to do with free speech. Pornography, racism, etc. are constitutionally protected, and as such are fully entitled to their place on the internet, just as Vanagon discussion is. But racist attacks are no more appropriate to a VW mailing list than VW questions are to a racist website.

I have remained silent, expecting that any day Tom would settle the issue by making the same strong statement against racist attacks on the List that he did about pornography. I assumed that if Tom feels that pornography is inappropriate to a list about VW's, he would certainly feel the same about overt racism.

Tom, I really hope that you are out of town again, and simply unaware of this situation. Because otherwise you would be implying by your obvious silence that it is perfectly fine with you if listmembers start hurling racial attacks at eachother. Can we now start attacking all races? Is the "N word" approved for use on the list, then? Can we use choice terms for homosexuals, too? Is this really appropriate to a list about VW's?

Tom, are you there?

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

p.s. For those who would like to learn more about what you can do to fight racism, visit www.tolerance.org (or its parent site www.splcenter.org). Every year since its inception, The Bus Depot has donated a portion of its profits to this and other likeminded organizations. Racism, both overt and covert, is everywhere - yes, even on this list - but that does not mean that we have to accept it as inevitable. From gradeschool education to community involvement, we can make a change. To see one thing our local community is doing to fight racism, see http://www.user.fast.net/~isaacs/plposter.jpg .