Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jul 2001 07:58:18 -0400
From:         Adam Brooks <adambrooks@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Unbelievable (was Tiico conversion issues....)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I am in absolute disbelief here.... I just returned from a trip out of town to assist a fellow list member with a fuel injection installation on a fresh air-cooled engine, and I return to read my email in horror as an innocent question to the list turned in to some insane banter about conversion pro and cons, then into a racial issue!!!

First off, to those who sent constructive information and offers of assistance to me, my heartfelt thanks! That is what I thought this list was about.... you know who you are, and if I can be of assistance to any of you, let me know.

Now, for the rest of those who turned this into some hideous rant. What is wrong with you? What possesses someone to take someone's plea for help and turn it in to this disgusting show of ignorance, prejudice, and.... yes, stupidity.

I joined this list to be able to access a wealth of information concerning this vehicle I love so much. I could not care less what engine is in it, as it is the pure utilitarianism and function that lead me to this vehicle, as well as the amazing camaraderie found amongst Vanagoners and VW owners in general. I must have been wrong to think that that is all I would find on this list.

I elected to go a route that was best for me and I have no regrets. I know that if I am 120 miles in the middle of nowhere, it will not leave me and my 4 year old daughter stranded ..... that is the issue, period. It did once with the waterboxer, and thanks to fellow VWers, I had a lift to the only parts store that could help me (75 miles one way) and assistance getting back on the road. I waited till the waterboxer gave up the ghost, then spend a lot of money the way I chose to. If that disappoints some, disgusts others, so be it. I didn't do it for you.

I will be leaving the list now. I hope that you all find the self-gratification that is apparently the goal of such lunacy worth it all. In the event that someone wants to start a list that is free of this crap, and exists to assist Vanagon owners, please let me know.

Thanks again to those who helped me. I am grateful.

Adam Brooks '57 European Type 2 Standard '59 European Type 1 '86 Westy Syncro