Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:41:28 -0700
From:         Tony <tgerr95@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil plug woes
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@enteract.com>

--- Larry Alofs <lalofs@enteract.com> wrote: > Tony wrote: > > > Actually know that I get a complete look/see it is > NOT > > a vanagon 2.1 oil plug - it is an oversize -- and > it > > is REALLLY in there - I tried tapping 20 or so > times - > > then used a 6 side socket - no go; tried a > new-style > > vise-grips (it has a special jaw for grabbing bolt > > heads/nuts) - same thing - no go. > > > > So, I understand from here my alternatives are: > > > > 1. leave it in there and drain the oil through the > oil > > screen > > > > -- Appreciate directions on how to do that - and > does > > it empty all the old oil? > > > > 2. Take it to my local vw garage, and have em get > it > > out and put in a helicoil (heard this is around > $80 > > ????) > > > > Thanks all, > > > > Tony > > > > '89 Carat "Agnes" > > --- Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > > Havin' trouble opening the oil plug on my 89 > Carat > > > - > > > > newly aquired and needs a change...the plug > won't > > > > budge - ended up chafing two of the corners on > the > > > > bolthead trying - tried both when warm and > cool - > > > > couldn't get it to move -- any ideas? > > > > > > ok, first go get a replacement plug from the > dealer. > > > get two or three. > > > and the little copper washers. that way, if you > > > bugger up the hex-head > > > on the one in the bus now, you'll have one to > put > > > back in. and carry a > > > spare in the glove box ... you never know when > you > > > might lose it in > > > the grass. :) > > > > > > get a large pair of vise grips or channel locks > > > (that will comfortably > > > fit under there) and see if you can get it loose > > > that way. make SURE > > > you are turning it in the right direction! most > > > likely, some idiot at > > > the jiffy-lube used an air impact wrench to put > it > > > back in. :( > > > > > > another trick is to tap on it with a hammer for > a > > > while ... straight > > > up onto the drain plug. nice solid taps ... but > not > > > whacking it! ... > > > about 20 or 30 times. sometimes that can loosen > the > > > threads. > > > > > > but basically you're gonna have to get something > > > that grips it solidly > > > (NEVER use crescent wrenches or open-end > wrenches to > > > take it off. > > > always use only box-end wrenches with 6-sides or > a > > > 6-sided socket. > > > don't use 12-sided wrenches or sockets on a > drain > > > plug). and just > > > torque it off. :( > > > > > > good luck! > > > joel > > > > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail > > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ > > What happened when you tried the 6 point socket? > Did you round off all the corners? > > Larry A. > > >

Nope - I didn't use it much - just tried to get it to budge --

FYI: My mechanic buddy said to try running the engine to warm, then take a icecube or 2 and cool down just the plug - and then try it.

FYI2 - My shop mechanic said for $40-50 he'll get out the old plug and set a helicoil w/proper threads...