Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:25:24 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AC Output Temp

After re-charging my R-12 system, I only have mid 50s air coming out of the vents. That doesn't seem right.

Here's what happened. A few days a list user pointed out that an R-12 system shouldn't have a lot of bubbles in the site glass.

I went out to look at the one on my '87 Westfalia, and there were quite a few. The AC has been cooling OK, but we haven't had any really warm temps out here, so I figured I would have a buddy of mine who is a refrigeration tech top it off before I leave on vacation (tomorrow).

He did this in his spare time, so didn't really go through the system, but now the site glass is clear, no bubbles.

We were hoping to get ~45 degrees out of the center vents, which is what I was getting last time I had it charged, about 18 months ago.

He lent me a thermometer to check while driving around, but the best I got was 54. It feels pretty cool coming out of the vents, but the van, which had been sitting out in the hot sun all day, hadn't cooled off after about half an hour of running.

Any suggestions for things to check?

Thanks

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho