Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:29:00 -0400
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: water pump
Comments: cc: "mwsnow@HOME.COM" <mwsnow@HOME.COM>

Mike:

What a nice, concise water pump troubleshooting guide. Think I'll cut this out and put it in Reinhardt's glove box.

Maynard Southard OvO '79 '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '84 Jetta GL TD "Donor"

On Tuesday, July 03, 2001 8:32 AM, Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM> wrote: > > Ok I have an 82 diesel westy. I have a problem with it getting hot. > > How high is the needle on the gauge? > > > Here is my list of things I have done. > > Checked the two thermostats on the radiator > > Made sure the fan worked and came on > > Replaced the water pump thermostat > > What type of thermostat did you install? Was it the same as the one you > removed, assuming that there was one installed? What is the rated opening > temperature? > > > Flushed the system > > Have you bled all the air from the system? > > > Made sure that none of the hoses were blocked > > Took out the water pump and it seems to turn freely. > > Is the belt tension enough for it to turn while the engine is running? This > sounds a bit stupid. Just covering all the bases. > > > > > It seems like the water pump is not pumping the water up to the > > radiator, > > Have you checked the 'guts' of the water pump to make sure the impeller and > the housing that it spins in are in good condition? A common but sloppy way > of repairing water pumps is to replace only the 'front' of the pump > (actually rear on the Vanagon). This provides a new impeller, bearing, and > shaft seal. It does nothing to fix erosion of the aluminum pump body, which > can lead to catastrophic failure on the road :( > > > does the cap on the filler tank (where the antifreeze goes) need to be a > very tight fit to create a vacuum? > > If this is the coolant reservoir behind the license plate, there should be > no pressure or vacuum. If it is the expansion tank between the batter and > fuel filter, it has a pressure cap that must work properly. > > > Could my water pump be bad even if it turns freely? > > Yes. > > > What else can I do to troubleshoot this problem? > > Run the engine until it gets to normal operating temperature. Feel for heat > on the outside of the radiator. No heat = no coolant flow. This could be > caused by a bad water pump, stuck thermostat, plugged or air-filled > radiator. > > Open the heater valve fully. Feel for heat in the coolant return hose for > the heater. This is the hose that runs to the lower inlet on the expansion > tank. There should be coolant flowing through the heater system regardless > of the thermostat position. No flow = faulty heater valve or > non-functioning water pump. > > > Any help would be appreciated so my wife will stop bothering me. > > > > Gary > > I have no good information on wife troubleshooting. Perhaps a Vanagon widow > support group. My wife will probably attend the first meeting if it's not > too far... I will, of course, be under the van in the parking lot. Perhaps > you can hand me wrenches while we wait! > > Mike Snow