Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:33:40 -0400
From:         Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Decision Time
Comments: To: Michael Garrett <mfgarrett@EARTHLINK.NET>

Michael,

Your prices sound high! Expecially the $300 front shocks. How about a Stebro stainless steel exhaust? Also could you do any of the work yourself, like the defroster? You didn't say heater so I'm not sure if it's the blower or heater core. You should be able to get the two high items for less. Then you might be able to keep your Merc.

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Garrett To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 9:05 PM Subject: Decision Time

I have been and avid reader/seldom contributor to the list since 1998 and now need an objective opinion.... It's decision time. My westy has 101,000 miles, an exhaust system that resembles swiss cheese, a dead front defroster fan, surface seam rust below the water/electrical connections, bad ball joints, bad front shocks, dry rotted tires, stained pushrod tubes (ie leaking is around the next corner) and I need belts and a tune up. Did I mention the scratches down the driver side and the flattened fender flair? That is another story but needless to say the parking garage pillar won......

My question is this, I estimate the costs to get back into great shape at: (with my mechanic's help and he is very good) ball joints $200 front shocks $300 Tune Up $100 All OEM Exhaust $1200/1500 OEM Tires $500 Mich MX4'S Belts $100 defroster $600 pull out replace with OEM AC conversion $130 This ends up being $3000 to $3500, I figure a decent paint job/rust clean up to be $3000 and now I have a "new" westy with an engine that has over a hundo on it. Do I do it? It might mean selling my 1965 fire engine red Mercury Monterey convertible. We are talking about a convertible as big as a Suburban (with 2 count'em 2 doors.) This thing has more chrome than I know what to do with. Seats six ( good for a guy with 4 kids) and is the perfect summer toy. Any and all help is appreciated... Mike

[text/html]