Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:29:37 -0400
From:         Éric Giroux <eric.giroux@NRC.CA>
Subject:      Re: New to list...a few questions, and I need some stuff

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Vanagon territory.

A couple of thoughts hereafter:

See http://www.vanagain.com/heaterv1.htm

Bilsteins: half the people say yes, half the people say no.... Then you can get lowering springs (OEM Boge) from http://www.busdepot.com And make sure the stabilizer links are not broken (a common occurence)

>OK, now, I need some things for this Van. For starters, I need a jack and a >toolset. Anyone know where I can get those second hand?

You want original? Look into http://www.ebay.com. That's were I obtained my second hand jack (Bilstein). They do pop up from time to time. For the toolset, you can get a nice little one from http://www.motorworks.com/vw/.

Jack and tool set are still available from the dealer, but expensive, as you know. They ARE listed in ETKA (Group 0)

>Also, this thing >needs some different wheels. The stock 14" steel wheels are not cutting it >for me. I am a huge fan of steel wheels, especially on a vehicle like this, >and my intentions for it's use. I'd like to do some 15" steel wheels, and in >fact, I have a set from a '99 Passat. They are the correct bolt pattern, >however, the hubs on the van are too large for the wheels. I thought about >grinding them out a bit(there's not too much of a difference), but they'd be >a pain to balance. So, does anyone have some wheels out there they'd like to >come off of for a reasonable price?

I understand that your Passat wheels are not strong enough for our trucks, that's the word on the street. You can get 'official' 15" steel wheels for the Vanagon from http://www.tiico.com.

Yours,

Éric

[text/html]