Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:19:29 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: BRIGHTER LIGHTS: install relays
Comments: To: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 07:42 PM 7/5/2001, Mark Dorm wrote: >What are you saying? That we should install relays for all our brake lights, >turn signals, tail lights, and back up lights?

No, of course not. Don't be silly. Not that it wouldn't work, but it wouldn't make economic sense. Those devices draw fairly small currents and are served perfectly well by the existing switches and wiring.

The problem with the headlight wiring is two-fold -- the wires are too small and the switch is too light. Because the wires are too small, they dissipate too much of the power that should be going to the lights, and because the switch is too light it tends to burn up. You could replace the existing wires with larger ones, but that would leave the problem with the switch. So it's better to use the existing circuit to switch a nice heavy relay and run the heavy wires to that. It's a nuisance though, since you still should be providing separate fused circuits for each light. Otherwise a circuit fault could bring down your whole lighting system which is not too cool when you're whizzing around a curve in the dark. At least you need two circuits, and VW used four -- one each for left and right high and low beams.

>And what about our American standard headlights? Could we install relays and >be happy without going all the way to the European spec headlights (which >are more money...). If yes then at least as a midway step prior to getting >the E-specs headlights....

It's a good thing to do, but you will simply end up with brighter versions of bad lights. The US-version square Vgon lights simply don't put the light in the right place on low beams, and making the light brighter won't help much. It should help the high-beams, though.

If you're so lucky as to have the round headlights, first of all they're standard sealed-beams with a pattern as good as any other sealed-beams -- and second you can put in a set of Bosch, Hella, Cibie H-4 E-code lights for under $100. And feel cheerful every time you turn the lights on for years after. The E-code pattern really is immensely superior to the US pattern (we're talking about low beams).

Or you could add a pair of the Hella auxiliary low-beams (look like fog lamps but aren't) and that would take care of it, too.

But beefing up the wiring is a good idea regardless, and truly necessary if you're adding any significant load to the existing setup.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"