Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:27:41 -0400
From:         Ignace Speybrouck <ignace@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      1985 O2 sensor and idle

Hi All,

Well the Vanagon is finally set, tomorow inspection and GO.

Tonight something bizarre happened though.

Without an O2 sensor plugged, the engine ran just like a charm, a bit fast as far as idle is concerned, but very stable and no misfiring.

I plugged my new Bosch O2 sensor, and there is misfiring, irregular idle. On the road, the van is OK as far as power or misfiring is concerned. I know I shouldn't drive the van on the road yet, but it's for adjustments.

I unplugged the o2 sensor and everything goes back to normal.

This is weird isn't it ?

The computer actually needs the info from the o2 sensor !

The rest of the van is top shape, big tune-up, new oil, prestone, timing, etc.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Ignace

1985 Vanagon GL 1967 Volvo 144S V2