Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jul 2001 12:08:03 -0700
From:         "James ." <tornadoredgti@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Projektzwo Fog Lite Troubles

Thanks all for the tips thus far.

>That's pretty amazing, bet it's the drivers side. After having those exact >same experiences and before reinstalling the replacement lens,

Unbelievable. Actually, it was one of each - the passenger side fitment was the worst, causing the turn signal crack. The driver side had the improper screw hole.

>business card as a gauge and in various spots, slipped it between the van >body and the plastic PZ housing. After pressing the housing in place (by >hand) would try to pull the card out. Found a few irregular areas on

From what I can tell, the plastic recess (big lump) directly behind the foglamp itself is contributing to the fitment problem - so the outer edge of the housing doesn't come close to flush against the car. In other words, I can slide a biz card freely around the entire perimeter of the housing (unless I really CRANK the screws).

>fwiw - the plastic housing doesn't really go over the >turn signal. The turn signal clips into the housing

Yeah, I know what you mean - I should have worded that differently. I put the singal over/in to the the flange on the P-Zwo housing, paying attention to the tabs on the turn signal - but, after numerous attempts, it didn't come close to fitting as it did on the van. Both the P-zwo housing and the turn signal housing were under stress. Again, one side was ok, so I think I'm doing it correctly.

>I have been >going with one of the grille screw tabs broken off for >almost a year with no problems.

Indeed, the Fogs look like they will stay attached. (unless maybe a rock hit it, in which case I think the whole damn thing would explode from the tension!) But the corner of the housing w/ the broken grill tab sticks out, so it's not near flush w/ the grill - again the poor fitment issues make it worse.

As far as the operation of the lights, it has been suggested that I check the pos/neg wires. My translated instructions (Fogs were brought in from the motherland by my Deutsch buddy) were sometimes akward, but I gathered from the short length of ground wire, that I simply patch into the existing headlight grounds, which I did. Yes? (the regular HL's work) As far as the + connections, there's really only one wire and it's going where it should be. The only wires left are the switch wires. The switch works (closes circuit), and the wires are in the indicated terminals. Beyond that, I don't know how to test the electrical.

I'm hoping to at least get the lights to work - then I can leave the wiring in place and take issue w/ P-Zwo about replacing just the Fog housings.

Thanks again. More input appreciated!