Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:14:19 -0400
From:         "Carlen, Gregg" <Gregg.Carlen@DYNCORP.COM>
Subject:      Re: how many $$ to recharge the AC?
Comments: To: sharks <jayshark@ARACNET.COM>

Shops in different areas charge different amounts. I would recommend taking it to a shop that will 'check it out' while you wait. If it really just needs a re-charge, then you're looking at a basic 'service'. With strict regulations now governing shops in most states, most places (notice I didn't say all) will require that you have a 'service' done. That means they hook your AC system to a recovery system, check the pressures on both high and low sides and look for leaks. If all leak testing shows nothing, then they'll recharge. I have found where I live in Virginia, that many shops will put a dye in the system so that if it does leak in the future, they can find it more easily. While you're getting your van checked, have them replace the Schrader valves. Anytime I have a vehicle that needs a service or recharge or has lost its freon for whatever reason, I have the valves replaced. It's cheap and eliminates a potential problem that is often overlooked.

Ok, back to you're question. What's it cost? Like I said, each shop (and some local laws) are different. I live in Virginia (suburbs of DC), where they are annoyingly controlling over AC work (well, everything, for that matter). Don't forget that your current freon type makes a difference too. If you still have the original R-12, then you're talking an expense for replacing R-12, or a conversion to R-134a. I haven't found any shops local to me that carry any of the new 'alternative' refrigerants to replace R-12 or 134a without doing a full system conversion (e.g. replacing the dryer), just a system draw-down and re-charge. We've been using a new refrigerant in the National Guard called Freeze which we use without the requirement to replace the dryer. I know there's variations of it, but its a consideration.

So, anyway, I had my system 'serviced' and the Schrader valves replaced at the beginning of the summer season. The cost was $240 using R-12, which I would consider reasonable considering the cost of R-12.

Good luck with your AC and let us know what happens.

Gregg 85 Westy (cold AC, even with the windows closed)!

-----Original Message----- From: sharks [mailto:jayshark@ARACNET.COM] Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 1:17 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: how many $$ to recharge the AC?

i have a 1990 GL with the normal factory installed AC system.

the last time i used my AC was early last summer, and it worked okay, but didn't get very cold. now it seems to not get cold at all.

assuming that it just needs a new shot of freon stuff, how much should i expect that to cost? i definitely don't need AC enough to pay big bucks for any real repairs, but if it's just needs more freon, i might consider it.

as always, thanks for any advice-

jay 1990 Vanagon GL "deep blue" portland, or (soon to be missoula, mt)