Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jul 2001 17:56:58 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Terry's Anti Semitic Insults --
Comments: To: Sean Garrett <seangar@HOTMAIL.COM>

I've got mixed feelings on this subject. First, though I'm a pretty ardent supporter of free speech, the constitution doesn't apply to this, as it is a private forum. If you try to write a letter to the editor of the Arizona Republic stating your pro-Nazi leanings (Yes, I know you don't have any), you'll find it either heavily edited or not published at all. However, should you choose to air those same feelings on state supported air time, no one can tell you that you cannot say whatever you happen to feel, no matter how much it offends those around you.

Gerry is a fairly open and free-wheeling forum, and things are said on occasion that offend one person or another. Generally, we don't take too much offense at anther's opinions, and generally, you don't see very many off-color comments either. We are probably a pretty good cross section of Americana, other than that we probably don't have a very strong minority population (We could probably get away with that "N word" and only offend those who choose to be sensitive). We have some Hispanics, some Jews, some gays. We probably have fat folks. We even got women!

I, for one, will not say anything nasty about any of them (even though I do enjoy my share of off-color humor) simply because I try to appreciate other folks sensitivities (yeah, me) and I don't want to offend anyone (much).

If Terry, or you, or anyone else, wants to make an impassioned plea for why genocide is a good thing, or why all folks with an IQ of under 120 should be neutered, I'll support that persons right to free speech. I'll even do it if that person is say, a hard core women's libber, and wants to make an argument for why all males should be put to death (yes, I've seen that one in print, too).

However, I don't stand by the rights of someone using a private forum to personally attack another member of said forum. I do not support the right of anyone on this private forum to offend others on this forum.

Should Tom prefer to allow this, so be it. Some will be offended and perhaps some will leave. Whether to allow this is Tom's decision. Should Tom decide to ban any offenders from this list, I'll support him on that, too.

Free speech is a wonderful thing. It is not guaranteed to anyone in a private forum. If you wish to piss people off, get yourself on publicly funded television.

Karl Wolz