Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jul 2001 21:21:20 -0400
From:         Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: rough off the line (Was: injector resistance)
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@enteract.com>

I have a problem with the engine having no power "off the line". It's an intermitant problem, sometimes more pronounced than others. If I depress the accelerator about 1" and keep it there, it will just barely move and slowwwly pick up speed and RPM until it get to about 4500 RPM (just a guess- near the top end), then it takes off.

Tonight it was not idling as smooth as it normall does and it was MUCH worse "off the line", but just once, then seemed it's normal self (still not perfect).

I do have AFM problems. I've "fixed" it with a cap, but it's still in rough shape. Also, There are some melted wires on the right side of the harness. I want to strip them down and re-insulate them. One of the wires that connects the control unit to injector #1 measures 18 ohms- that's not right..

I recently replaced the O2 sensor and the temp II sensor, so both are in good shape.

My grounds have been cleaned numerous times as well. I've also replaced all the vacuum lines and adjusted (and tested) the throttle position switches.

I think my big problems are the wiring harness and the AFM. I intend to get some "high temp" wire and replace (with solder and shrink tubing) any wires in the harness that aren't good anymore.

Comments?

Bradley Flubacher State College, PA '82 VW diesel westy '84 GL wasserboxer

-----Original Message----- From: Larry Alofs [mailto:lalofs@enteract.com] Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 8:57 PM To: Bradley Flubacher; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: injector resistance

Bradley Flubacher wrote:

> I measured the resistance on my injectors and it turned up high (17-18 ohms > ea.) > > What is this inidicative of? Definitely a problem? New ones sure are > expensive... > > Bradley Flubacher > State College, PA > '82 VW diesel westy > '84 GL wasserboxer

If they are all about the same, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't seem like they would all go bad at once. Why do you suspect them?

Larry A.