Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:56:09 -0400
From:         John Anderson <jander14@WVU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Computer woes?

>The idle stabilizer valve is only necessary when the engine is cold or >if you are using the airconditioner. You can remove and clean the valve

That isn't exactly true. A properly tuned Digifant isn't going to run with the ISV inoperable or will barely run. If everything is right with the injection even warm, you pull that connector the engine should immediately stumble and barely run. If that is not the case, you likely have the idle bypass air screw on the throttle body turned out so far it doesn't matter what the ISV is doing perhaps also combined with tinkering to the idle enrichment screw on the AFM. Or the ISV is totally gummed up and stuck in an open position so it doens't matter. Carb cleaner followed by flushing with something less caustic (WD40) will clean most of them up, adjustment procedures for the ISV are well documented as well. Oh ISV also functions all the time at steering lock when the pressure switch on the P/S is closed. But in reality with a properly adjusted system, it functions all the time. The old air valves on the Digijet didn't do a thing except with A/C, P/S, or warmup, they were simply open/shut and were not duty cycle feedback controlled. A perfect time to plug that I still have the '87 Digifant set for sale, that includes the ISV, control, ECU, dizzy, injectors, fuel ring, harness, AFM, etc all from a wonderfully running van. No t-body though.

John jander14@wvu.edu