Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:57:22 -0600
From:         John Klun <jklun@GJ.NET>
Subject:      Hot Weather Effects... and some information.

Fellow Listees-

Out here in Delta, CO, in the 'adobe desert', the daytime temperatures can hit 105+ in direct sun, every day in the summer. We are in the middle of this 3 month period. Our Vanagon and Jetta are parked in direct sun.

I was driving the Van around our field irrigating when I heard the fuel pump start to buzz. It buzzed loudly for the remaining time I was out in the field. I finished and parked it in its usual spot. A few hours later, when the temp dropped down to around 95, I started the Van and no buzz.

Our '86 Jetta GL is somewhat the same. The fuel pump buzzes in extreme heat.

The other day, the Jetta wouldn't start. It turned over but not catch. I left it alone for a day. I went back out to start it and it caught right away.

I checked with Bob Birkholz, my mechanic, and he said that with today's gasoline formulations, combined with hot weather and fuel pump pressures, the cars suffer from 'vapor lock'. He's also found that when he rebuilds old Beetle engines he needs to install a fuel pump in the front tank to provide the pressure to get it to the engine (plus a regulator to reduce it to the correct pressure in the engine).

We've had many fuel pump failures on our Jetta since 1986 and the 'no start' mirrored the fuel pump failure. Of course, I panicked!

The point to this is that severely hot temperatures 100's+ dry, 90's+ humid will affect the density of gasoline and your fuel pumps. So be careful. Every time the fuel pumps failed in our Jetta, the temps were extremely high for the locale: 108 in Kansas, 102 in Florida, humid high 90's in New Hampshire.

Thaaaaaat's all volks!

'84 Vanagon GL (Baby) 200,000+ miles? '86 Jetta GL (300,000+ miles?) '65 Chev PU (Big Black) engine burned up (literally)