Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:21:04 -0400
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@USGS.GOV>
Subject:      Re: overheating

Joel Walker wrote: >you could feel along the hoses to see if they are uniformly hot to the >touch. or scan them with that infrared themometer (put the van up on a >lift to make it easier).

I just felt up my hoses and the one going into the radiator is very hot. The return hose is much cooler (like bathtub or warmer temperature). They did'nt seem to be pinched by the spare tire but i ran it without the spare tire just to check and it still overheated. The return hose seems to go to the upper part of the T-stat housing which feels cool on the top and hot on the bottom. Then a fat hose connects to a metal pipe which goes to the H20 pump where the coolant gets pumped back into the engine (correct?). This situation seems to indicate that my T-stat is'nt opening or the t-stat housing/hoses are clogged. Or anything else? This is a new t-stat. I tried running without the t-stat before changing the radiator but the engine overheated and the t-stat housing leaked because it needs the metal part of the t-stat to hold the o-ring and take up space. SO i will try to rip the insides out of my old t-stat and put it in there and see if it still overheats. Maybe my new t-stat is defective. I thought it might have been upsides down but I just pulled it and its in there the same way bentley depicts it. Also is it possible that my H20 pump is running weak and it does'nt have enough force to get the coolant through the t-stat? If playing with the t-stat does'nt work i will disassemble the h20 pump and check the impellars and 0-rings.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this problem. This problem has tested my patience and caused considerable aggrevation/loss of time and money. I wish everyone the best of luck with their vangons!

Long live the list, Andrew Fox