Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2001 23:41:38 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: '90 Wolfsburg Needs Repairs
Comments: To: Tom Nevin <nevin57@YAHOO.COM>

Sounds to me like a rip-off price. You can get a completely overhauled engine with a warranty from Bob Donalds (Boston Bob) for LESS money than that. Don't know the story on the heads, but $1200 sounds more real, depending on what all is necessary. I bought a completely rebuilt engine from my local WBX Guru for $1500. Had rebuilt heads, new valves, guides, and seats, new cylinder barrels, with matching rings, pistons, rebuilt rods, new camshaft, new oil pump, new water pump, and new bearings throughout. The labor for the R&R was $500. I had a bunch more stuff done, like new clutch and pressure plate, all new hoses and fuel injection lines plus some other stuff that brough it up another $1000. So the absolute grand total with the new engine installed and all the extras I wanted came to 3 grand. Not bad considering.

I basically paid 3 grand for the van in the first place, and had an unexpected engine failure shortly after purchase so there is no way I will ever get my money out of it except through use. I'm going to drive it to dust!! But I am going to enjoy it in the process. I like the van, and past a certain point, considering the ever increasing age of the van, and the way the car market works, it simply becomes a labor of love for the vehicle, because the money spent in maintenance will never be recovered through re-sale.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Tom Nevin wrote: > > My mechanic estimates it will cost $3,500 to get my > van going again. Most of this will be spent on > replacing the heads. This is the first major repair > needed on my van since I bought it used with 35,000 > miles on it many years ago. The van now has 106,000 > miles. The few classified ads I have seen indicate the > van is worth somewhere between $3,000 and $14,000 > (after repairs, of course). Any ideas what a red '90 > vanagon with 106,000 miles is worth in the SF Bay > Area? > > Tom Nevin > '90 Vanagon Wolfsburg > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/