Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:34:30 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      shifter kit & adjustment

Hi all,

I put my new shifter kit in this weekend. Everything went fine, although it is really a messy job if you put Moly-grease on everything before you insert the upper hemisphere in between the shells! That thing is like some kind of torture puzzle. Turns out my old one wasn't broken at all anyway. My van was always extremely hard to get into first -- you had to push down on the stick to get it past the reverse-protector gate and then confidently know you are shoving exactly at the right angle to get it into first and not reverse. After hours of tweaking the angle of the plate at the bottom of the shifter, I was just about to give up. If you turn that plate too far, then what you think is first is really third, and 1 and 2 dissappear. Then, I had the bright idea to re-adjust the angle on the shift linkage bar just aft of the gas tank. I turned the back half a little bit inwards, so that the angle would be closer to first gear without having to go under the reverse gate. I tightened it all up, and WOW! It is fun to drive again! I can actually get it into first AND second! I should have thought of this years ago! The DPO had the transmission replaced at a VW dealership, and there have been a multitude of problems with it for me -- I should have known it wouldn't have been adjusted right, either!

Michael Townsend 90 Carat