Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:23:22 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Refrigerants
Comments: cc: kenwilfy@aol.com

Hi all,

I don't want to start a holy way here, but I was wondering if anyone knows the current "best choice" for AC refrigerant upgrades. I have read the archives, and I see that Ken Wilford was very happy with Freeze-12. Ken, are you still happy with it? Then there is R-134a, pay $$ for good old R-12, and finally Autofrost. I won't consider the propane or butane replacements. I wonder about the legal, performance, and availability status of some of the alternatives. Some things that might effect my decision:

1: I will be replacing my compressor. 2: My receiver / dryer is only 3 years old -- I'd like to save it if I could. 3: I really don't feel like changing all of the seals, but I could. 4: I have one other car with R-134a. I suppose I could stock up on it while I can still buy it. How long can you buy it over the counter? 5: Is that epa license for $20 to buy Freeze 12 still for real? 6: COLD! I want it COLD! I hear conflicting stories about R-134a's performance in a system designed for R-12.

Any strong opinions?

Thanks, Michael Townsend