Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2001 21:04:40 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: [DIESEL] How the heck to prime oil pump?(Saga continues,
              pics on www)
Comments: To: Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@ubc.ca>
Comments: cc: diesel@vwfans.com

Your pressure relief valve is stuck open. My broken pickup tube is damaged at this point. On mine, the pressure bleed hole is greatly enlarged where the casting broke. Even with the damage, the valve closes all the way to where there is no gap for oil to escape.

At this point, you appear to have little to lose by removing the pressure relief valve and cleaning out whatever debris is preventing it from closing completely. I can move the piston fairly easily in its bore against the spring tension.

The pressure relief valve is obviously peened in place. I'm sure that it can be carefully removed, but not so sure how easy it would be to put back. Other than peening in place like the factory, you might consider cutting a few threads in the housing for a threaded plug, cutting a groove for an inside snap ring, or drilling across the diameter for a roll pin (or two) to retain the end cap and spring. A local machinist may have some better ideas.

Best of Luck, Mike Snow