Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jul 2001 22:30:40 -0600
From:         Jon B Kanas <kanas@QUALITY.QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Syncro Stuck in ditch!!!

Good Evening Listers,

Last weekend we took the Syncro up elevenmile canyon to look at a cabin we considering purchasing. Access to the cabin is via mild 4WD trail, with a ditch between the trail and cabin driveway. Most level position (sleeping and access to sliding door) was obtained by backing into the driveway. I managed to drop the LR wheel into the ditch, and began spinning on the decomposing granite gravel. The 4WD on the Syncro did not engage, so here I sit, stuck at the bottom of the driveway spinning the LR wheel. I was easily able to pull out forward, an approximately equally steep climb. It appeared as if the Syncro would not engage, but only in reverse. After a few minutes walking about, assessing the situation, I remembered the differential lock;

engaged it and was able to back up the driveway uneventfully. When departing, I deliberately stopped while coming down an extremely steep hill on the same type of loose surface, and attempted to back up the hill to see if I could duplicate the earlier symptoms. Nope, just backed right up the hill.

The return trip involved a 30 mile ride on another mild 4WD road, and everything worked flawlessly.

We encountered a tourist in an SUV who flagged us down to tell us we could not possibly get "that van" through where he had just been. Little did he know that the worst of the road (by far) was already behind us, and waiting for his arrival J.

It's always interesting to observe the reactions of people when they see out camper way back in the high country.

Anyway… my point and question: Do any of the Syncro technical wizards out there have any suggestions as to why I got stuck, specifically why the 4WD did not engage? The Viscous Coupling is supposed to work in reverse, correct, or will it only initially engage in the forward gears? I believe that the syncro is working properly; when the Vanagon was put on the dynamometer for the Colorado emissions test, the front wheels are used to drive the dyno for all-wheel-drive type vehicles. On very hot days, if I drive for an extended period, they syncro wants to engage prematurely on tight turns (parallel parking, etc.). As soon as it cools down, the symptoms of premature engagement cease.

Please reply to me personally as well as to the list; I don't always make through all the postings. Thanks in advance for your comments and assistance.

Regards to all, --

Jon B Kanas

Boulder County Colorado: 194249 sq Hectares surrounded by reality. Working hard to keep it this way