Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:53:11 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Kirkland tires
Comments: To: dmc@CYBURBAN.COM

I really hate to get started in another tire thread but I've just put a set of Michlein Agilis 61s size 185x14c on my Westfalia. I've been only about 600 miles on them and that was mostly in a straight line down I-45 South and then back. So far I've noticed that the van seems to center its steering quicker after a turn, I have less swoosh when I'm passed by an 18 wheeler on a two lane and an overall firmer, possibly more controled ride. They do make a little more noise going over expansion joints. The tread groves between the ribs are a little wider and they pick up small stones for wheel-well ammunition and that occasaional ping is going to happen with these tires. Well OK! Boing! or Ching. I've been running under specified Michleins for seven years and they've been throwing tread off between 6 and 10K; I've just been going back for warranty and they were very good about free replacement but I still dropped 10$ each for road hazzard, 2.25$ each on Valve stems and 7,50$ each on balancing. So each time it cost me about 40$ a pair for warranty (if one goes bad they will replace the pair for matching purposes) or at least thats what the dealer has been doing in my situation. Since I'm breaking in a new engine I can't comment on higher speeds than 65 MPH or any fuel use improvement. If you can get a tire with a C or D load rating thats the way you want to go. Previously to this Michlein did not have a 14" x 185 tire with a C or D rating. (said the Michlein Rep.)

Stan Wilder 1983 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:51:00 +0100 Dave M <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM> writes: > >From: Courtney Hook <chook@NISA.NET> > >Subject: Kirkland tires again - Sorry! :-) > > > >Sorry, - I know check the archives, but they're not definitive on > the > >subject. > >I'm looking at the Costco LT Kirkland tires for my 79 Westy > (actually made > >by Uniroyal/BF Goodrich they told me) > > > Find out the load index stamped on the sidewall. > I suspect these tires have an insufficient load index for a Westy and > probably barely adequate for a regular Vanagon.

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.