Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:35:41 -0400
From:         Helen Fahy <72510.1173@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil temp, safe or not?
Comments: To: wilden1@JUNO.COM

Calibrating the "fear factor" of a new piece of information like the oil temp, is always a problem. I would suggest that having the oil pressure in conjunction with the oil temp provides a more complete picture of what is going on. If all is good, at startup: engine oil pressure is at max(defined by oil pressure relief valve and temp is at bottom of range. As engine heats up, the temp comes up and holds(somewhat independent of rpm) and the max pressure goes down, usually 10psi/1000rpm.

I have my oil temp sensor in my waterboxer in the oil pan, so it is cooler than most other locations. Steady long uphills will cause it to climb from ~200-210 to 210-220 degf. The oil pressure is constant during this ~10psi/1000rpm.

HTH Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stan Wilder" <wilden1@JUNO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 10:58 AM Subject: Oil temp, safe or not?