Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:47:37 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Not Downshifting
Comments: cc: jwarner@NETWALK.COM

Jeff,

I have the same vehicle, except 169k miles on it, and no name. I was just messing with my AT linkage this weekend. There's the cable that goes from the gas pedal to a lever on the tranny. Then a pushrod goes from there to the actual throttle. 2 adjustmenst can be made. The front one right under the gas pedal adjusts how tight that cable is to the lever on the trans. You have to drop the spare tire and remove a small cover up under there. The other adjustment is at the throttle. Read the Bentley for the official adjustment procedure. Basically the cable in the front part is supposed to be tight enough so that when floored, the lever goes into the kickdown position, but does not hit the "stop." I worked with an assistant to get this more by feel than actually seeing the lever hit the stop. The adjustment back at the throttle is supposed to be so that as you get close to flooring the pedal, it goes to WOT, the last little bit of pedal travel trips the kickdown. Mine was out of adjustment so that it was not getting WOT or tripping kickdown. Here's my tip I learned: I adjusted the front cable so that it was just going past the kickdown. (You can feel a definite detent when moving the cable or from the pushrod at the throttle end.) I was being conservative to save the cable from excessive strain. But then when I hooked up the throttle to the pushrod, its return spring(s) added enough tension to throw off that adjustment. It was just barely going into kickdown. It was going to WOT. When I test drove it, kickdown still didn't seem to be working. So now I think it will be just fiddling with those 2 adjustments. The Bentley says to remove the spring at the throttle. It is held by an "E" clip, that could easily go flying. It is also hard to put the spring back on and get the E clip on. Took 2 of us to do it. Might be able to do the adjusting with the spring in place.

Edward