Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:41:08 -0700
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Re '91 Westy value

>Ok, even I have to admit this thread has gone on way too far, but HOW do >real people actually afford to live in San Francisco. Is everyone making >THAT much money? Median house price at 500K? If I wanted to buy a $500K >house around here, I would have trouble finding one..and then, I would get >a >historic antebellum mansion with the Gulf of Mexico in the front yard. > >Brian >

Ah let's see here...

I am a computer engineer working in the silicon equipment industry as a robotics SW (and hardware sometimes) engineer. It's now 8:35 PM, I have been here since 9:00Am and have a couple more hours left to go. I have a 7:00AM meeting in the morning. My responsibility is to get this machine up and cycling wafers before morning. It costs the company money if I don't get it done.

Do I make a lot of money? yep. Do I spend a lot of money? yep. I have no clue as to how the other half lives. You hear horror stories of 15 to 20 people sharing beds in shifts in some of the neighborhoods around here.

Is my life unusual around here? My GF is a documentation engineer frequently working 12 hours on Saturdays and Sundays. She makes a lot of money too.

SO how do we afford it? We just do. And our house would be worth about 175 grand in Mobile AL.

I am reduced to driving old beater VW vans (RVC) and one reliable '92 Toyota PU. Just kidding about the VWs. I love mine.

Anyhow, I hope this answers your question.